This is simple, easy to prepare, healthy diabetic friendly salad. I made it last night as i wanted to cut down on chapatis (Indian flatbread) and instead have something more nutritious and satiating. I have altered my workout and diet plan and am reducing carbs gradually and increasing good fat ,protein and leafy greens in my diet so that’s how this salad happened! 😁
Good to Know
Indian Cottage Cheese is high in protein and calcium. It can help regulate blood sugar levels too. Spinach is rich in A,C & K vitamins along with magnesium, Iron and manganese.
Makes 2 servings
Difficulty level: Very Easy
1 cup Indian Cottage cheese (Paneer)
1 cup chopped spinach
1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1.5 tsp seed mix of your choice (pumpkin, sesame, flax, chia seeds etc)
2 tsp olive oil
*Chat Masala or your choice of seasoning to taste
Juice of half lemon
1. Saute Indian cottage cheese, spinach, onion, seed mix in 2 tsp olive oil for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
2. Transfer it in a serving dish, add sliced cherry tomatoes, lemon juice and *chat masala or black salt. You can use your choice of salad dressing as well.
3. Mix well and serve warm.
*Chat Masala is a spice mix from the Indian cuisine and is a mix of tangy and spicy flavours. It has cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, asafoetida (hing), dry mango powder and black salt.
The whole world is going through difficult times. People are worried, as the spread of Corona virus has resulted in never before kind of actions, emotions and restrictions. As the medical science struggles to find a cure or a probable vaccine at the earliest, our only guard against this virus for the time being is our own immunity. Be active, eat clean and healthy food. Here is a salad meal recipe that is protein packed and is loaded with lot of vitamins and minerals as well. Do let me know how it turns out for you in comments section. keep well, stay safe.
Serves 1 (as a meal)
Difficulty level : Medium
1 cup cooked
Mixed Coloured capsicum (Red, yellow, green capsicum)
Black chickpeas (kala chana)
1/4th cup Boiled
White chickpeas/Garbanjo beans(kabuli chana)
1/4th cup Boiled
Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
Chat Masala and or Black salt to taste
1. Cook Quinoa : Combine the rinsed quinoa and water in a pan. Bring it to boil and reduce the flame. Let it simmer and cook on low or medium flame until the quinoa absorbs the water. cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. It will allow the quinoa to fluff up.
2. In a pan add 2 tsp olive oil, mixed coloured capsicum, cottage cheese(Paneer), boiled black chickpeas(kala chana), boiled Garbanjo beans (Kabuli chana) and sauté for 3-5 minutes. let it cool and put it in a serving bowl.
3. Add cooked quinoa, Pomegranate seeds, lemon juice, chat masala and black salt to the bowl.
4. Toss well and serve.
You may add your favourite salad dressing to the salad to suit your taste.